Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. George in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Pioneer Courthouse

 
 
Pioneer Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
1. Pioneer Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The seat of county government was originally established at Fort Harmony from 1856 until 1859. It was then moved to the city of Washington until 1863 when St. George became the County Seat. By 1866, work had begun on the Washington County Courthouse, a large and stately building with a balcony and a cupola.

The beautifully restored building still stands across the street north and one clock east of here. Construction on the courthouse proceeded concurrently with construction of the tabernacle one block south of here. The same craftsmen who worked on the tabernacle also worked on the courthouse which was completed in 1870.

This building was originally to be built of dressed sandstone rocks, but due to the great number of men required to raise the walls of the tabernacle, the plan was changed to lime and brick which were manufactured locally. The three basement rooms were used as a jail. The first floor was arranged as county government offices, and the second floor had a large assembly room which was used, not only as a courtroom, but for government functions, civic group meetings, political gatherings, socials, dances
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and school classrooms.

A walk through the pioneer courthouse reveals 18 inch thick interior walls, some panes of original glass alongside the entrance doors, beautiful chandeliers, original paintings of Zion Canyon and Grand Canyon on the upstairs walls, and an early day security vault.

The fact that the courthouse is still a key center of activity in downtown St. George, is a testiment to the quality of workmanship that existed among Dixie’s early master builders.
 
Erected 1994 by Sons of Utah Pioneers.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Sons of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
 
Location. 37° 6.58′ N, 113° 34.978′ W. Marker is in St. George, Utah, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from St. George Boulevard. It is in park next to Zion’s Bank. . Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 E St George Boulevard, Saint George UT 84770, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. George Social Hall “Opera House” (a few steps from this marker); Brigham Young Home (a few steps from this marker); Gardeners’ Club Hall (a few steps from this marker); And the Desert Shall Blossom
Eastern side of Pioneer Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
2. Eastern side of Pioneer Courthouse
(within shouting distance of this marker); Erastus Snow's Big House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dixie Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); The Woodward School (within shouting distance of this marker); St. George Tabernacle (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. George.
 
Pioneer Courthouse at 97 E St. George Boulevard image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
3. Pioneer Courthouse at 97 E St. George Boulevard
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,694 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=1391

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024