Rubidoux in Riverside County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Rubidoux Grist Mill Site
Erected 1986 by Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus and West Riverside County Businessmen's Assoc. (Marker Number 303.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the E Clampus Vitus series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
Location. 33° 59.715′ N, 117° 24.395′ W. Marker is in Rubidoux, California, in Riverside County. Marker is at the intersection of Molino Way and Fort Drive, on the right when traveling east on Molino Way. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5540 Molino Way, Riverside CA 92509, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jensen-Alvarado Ranch (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lt Col Shunzo KidoMount Rubidoux (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mission Inn (approx. 2.1 miles away); Old City Hall (approx. 2.1 miles away); First Congregational Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Universalist-Unitarian Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Harada House (approx. 2.3 miles away).
Regarding Rubidoux Grist Mill Site. This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 303 and Riverside County Historic Landmark No. 51
1. Louis Rubidoux
Louis Rubidoux had been a mountain man in the southwest before coming to California. He became one of the most prominent cattle ranchers in southern California as well as a local judge and Supervisor. Pieces claimed to be from the grist mill are built into the rock monument that holds the bronze plaque. Fort Drive is named for a small military post temporarily located here from 1852-1854.
SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
— Submitted December 30, 2011.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 804 times since then and 54 times this year. Last updated on September 7, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 18, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 3. submitted on April 4, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.