Near Rockett in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Robert Russell Graves (1814-1897) came from Alabama to Texas in 1838 with his wife Esther (Hinkle) Graves (1815-1865), their children, and her father Joseph Hinkle (1771-1859). They came to Ellis County in 1857 and settled on 510 acres purchased from Thomas C. Marchbanks. The first marked grave on this site is that of Joseph Hinkle, who was interred here in 1859. Robert and Esther's son C.R. Graves (1857-1938) and his wife Emma Callie Graves (1857-1927) deeded 1.06 acres including Joseph's grave for a family burial ground in 1895. Many early pioneer families of the area near the Rockett community are represented here. Graves Cemetery continues as a chronicle of the pioneer days of Ellis County.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11861.)
Location. 32° 28.373′ N, 96° 45.896′ W. Marker is near Rockett, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is on Bells Chapel Road 0.2 miles north of Farm to Market Road 813, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bell's Chapel Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Parson's Cavalry (approx. 3.6 miles away); Oak Lawn School (approx. 7.4 miles away); Old Ellis County Jail (approx. 7.7 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Graves Cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2019, by Julia Bell of Palmer, Texas. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Last updated on September 7, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on September 1, 2019, by Julia Bell of Palmer, Texas. 2. submitted on September 7, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.