Marfa in Presidio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
In 1897, Bishop John Mills Kendrick gave permission to Marfa Episcopalians to build a separate church named St Paul's. Elizabeth Livesay donated lots on Highland Avenue and John and Mary Humphris paid for the building. The church was established as a mission of the Cathedral Church of St. John's in Albuquerque. In November 1928, the Chamber of Commerce Hotel Committee purchased the St. Paul's lot, and the Paisano Hotel was built on that site. In March 1929, Bishop Frederick B. Howden bought lots
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18213.)
Location. 30° 18.842′ N, 104° 1.32′ W. Marker is in Marfa, Texas, in Presidio County. Marker is at the intersection of East Washington Street and Highland Street, on the right when traveling west on East Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Washington Street, Marfa TX 79843, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Presidio County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); El Paisano Hotel (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hunter Gymnasium (approx. 0.3 miles away); Humphris-Humphreys House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Blackwell School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort D.A. Russell (approx. 0.7 miles away); Building 98, Fort D. A. Russell (approx. 0.9 miles away); Presidio (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marfa.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for St. Paul's Episcopal Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.