Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kilgore in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Kilgore Colored and C. B. Dansby Schools

 
 
Kilgore Colored and C. B. Dansby Schools Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
1. Kilgore Colored and C. B. Dansby Schools Marker
Inscription.  Formal education of Kilgore’s African American youth is recorded as early as 1873 through Kilgore Baptist church. On August 27, 1906, Kilgore residents voted to incorporate the Kilgore Independent School District (KISD), which included segregated African American schools. On this site in 1935, the KISD constructed a new brick building for African American students. The original building included seven classrooms, a principal's office, book room and 400- seat auditorium. A year later the school expanded with four additional classrooms and indoor plumbing. In 1939, growth continued with a science and agriculture building, followed by a cafeteria in 1944 and a band hall in 1954.

C. B. Dansby (1898-1955) was the beloved principal for nearly twenty- five years, and under his tenure the school expanded from six grades to twelve and consolidated surrounding rural schools. Tragically, principal Dansby died during a graduation ceremony. The school was officially renamed in his honor in 1956. Hired upon Dansby’s death Odis h. Turner (1908-1992) was the final principal from 1955 to 1970 Dansby high school continued to educate African

Marker at former school site. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
2. Marker at former school site.
American children of KISD until desegregation of the district on august 8 1970. The Dansby high school buildings housed KISD specialty classes for two years after the school's closing. Later, private investors purchased the property and used the campus as a multi-service facility for the community. The property passed to the jurisdiction of the city of Kilgore, who demolished the buildings in 2013. Although no longer standing, the Kilgore colored and C. B. Dansby high schools provided a quality education to students all while teaching and providing love, care and respect.

Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18773.)
 
Location. 32° 23.409′ N, 94° 53.085′ W. Marker is in Kilgore, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is on Wells Street east of Douglass Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Wells Street, Kilgore TX 75662, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lou Della Crim Home (approx. half a mile away); World's Richest Acre (approx. half a mile away); The Kilgore I&GN-Missouri Pacific Railroad Station (approx. half a mile away); Before 1937 Drilling Began (approx.
Small sponsorship plate in near marker. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
3. Small sponsorship plate in near marker.
0.6 miles away); Drilling Completed, 1940 (approx. 0.6 miles away); During Drilling (approx. 0.6 miles away); Removal (approx. 0.6 miles away); Kilgore National Bank Building (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kilgore.
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 

More. Search the internet for Kilgore Colored and C. B. Dansby Schools.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement