Emory in Rains County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
and Van Zandt counties
Created June 9, 1870
Organized December 1, 1870
Named in honor of
Member of the Texas Congress and
Emory, the county seat
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 16076.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 9, 1870.
Location. 32° 52.571′ N, 95° 46.122′ W. Marker is in Emory, Texas, in Rains County. Marker is on Cain Family Circle north of Quitman Street (Farm to Market Road 2795), on the left when traveling north. Located at Ruby Mckeowan Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Cain Family Circle, Emory TX 75440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Emory Rains (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Near Offices of "Rains County Leader" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rains County (approx. ¼ mile away); Rains County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Ambrose Fitzgerald (approx. ¼ mile away); The Amis House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Fraser Brick Company (approx. 3 miles away); Lone Oak Methodist Church (approx. 13.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Emory.
More about this marker. The 1936 granite and bronze historical markers were part of a unique effort and represent aspects of the historic preservation and craftsmanship of that time.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.