Calhoun in Gordon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
June 3, 1887 - January 1, 1977
Roland Hayes, the first internationally renowned African-American classical singer was born in Gordon County and performed at this site, the former Calhoun High Auditorium. Hayes opened doors for African - American concert and opera performers and elevated Negro spirituals to the classical level, singing them in concert with operatic arias. He sang in seven languages. Hayes studied at Nashville's Fisk University and toured the United States, performing at Carnegie Hall and Boston Symphony Hall. His foreign tour included a command performance for King George V and Queen Mary at Buckingham Palace. At the height of his half-century career. Hayes was one of the world's highest paid singers. He made a number of recordings and published his music in the book My Songs. In 1991, Roland Hayes was named to the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. On his 80th birthday, Hayes was honored with this tribute. "He is and ever was at once one voice, one race, one citizen, one triumph in belief, one compromise with nothing he is a country to himself that borders not on nations whole or sundered, but on art, on life - on people prizing now and then nobility
Erected 1995 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 064-34.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Arts, Letters, Music. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1991.
Location. 34° 30.096′ N, 84° 57.429′ W. Marker is in Calhoun, Georgia, in Gordon County. Marker is at the intersection of Oothcalooga Street and South Fair Street, on the right when traveling east on Oothcalooga Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 540 Oothcalooga Street, Calhoun GA 30701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Calhoun Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Calhoun Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Gordon County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Calhoun, Ga, May 18, 1864. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johnston's Rear Guard Stops McPherson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle of Lay's Ferry (approx. 2.2 miles away); Richard Peters Plantation (approx. 2.2 miles away); Calhoun War Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Calhoun.
Also see . . . Rpland Hayes. New Georgia Encyclopedia (Submitted on December 8, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,956 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on December 3, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.