Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Windsor Battlefield Tour
This local area was once a part of the mighty Choctaw Nation. The Choctaw Indians relinquished when they signed The Treaty of Commissioner's Creek in 1802. Among the white men who signed this treaty were David Hunt and Daniel Burnet. The first white settlement in what was to become Claiborne County was near Petit Gulf just north of the town of Rodney. This hunting settlement was established in 1729. The first permanent settlement came in 1775 and in 1802 the county was formed and named for Gov. W.C.C. Claiborne, Governor of the territory. It was the third county formed in the State. Gibson's Landing was chartered March 12, 1805, as county seat. Before 1850 there were about 23 private schools in Claiborne County and 4 colleges for women and one for men.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is March 12, 1805.
Location. 31° 57.041′ N, 90° 59.143′ W. Marker is in Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on Church Street (U.S. 61) near Horton Street, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1601 Church Street, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Claiborne County (here, next to this marker); Dependency (a few steps from this marker); Samuel Gibson House (a few steps from this marker); Van Dorn House (a few steps from this marker); The Vicksburg Campaign and Siege (a few steps from this marker); Idlewild (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spencer Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Heath Home (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gibson.
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the Port Gibson Chamber of Commerce site. Marker is on the south side of the "Dependency" building behind the main building.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2019.