Woodstock in Carleton County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
Flemming House / La Maison Flemming
126 Chapel Street / 126, rue Chapel
Built c1905 for R. Norman Loane, this four square Edwardian house was designed by the same architect who built St. James United Church. Two provincial premiers have lived in this house: J. K. Flemming (premier from 1911 to 1915) and his then teenaged son Hugh John Flemming (premier from 1952 to 1960). James Russell Gilliland (1860-1929), Divisional Superintendent of the CPR, and his family purchased the house in 1916 when they moved to Woodstock.
Construite en 1905, pour R. Norman Loane, cette maison fut conçue par le même architecte qui construit « St. James United Church ». Deux Premiers Ministres provinciaux ont demeuré dans cette maison : J.K. Flemming (premier ministre de 1911 à 1915) avec son fils Hugh John Flemming (premier ministre de 1952 à 1960). James Russell Gilliland (1860-1929) surintendant de la ligne du Canadien-Pacifique passant par Woodstock, a acheté la maison en 1916 lorsque sa famille y a emménagé.
Erected by Woodstock — New Brunswick's First Town / La première ville du Nouveau-Brunswick.
Topics. This historical Architecture • Government & Politics.
Location. 46° 9.137′ N, 67° 34.603′ W. Marker is in Woodstock, New Brunswick, in Carleton County. Marker is at the intersection of Chapel Street and Orange Street, on the right when traveling west on Chapel Street. Marker is located beside the sidewalk at the northeast corner of the intersection, overlooking the southwest corner of the subject house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 126 Chapel Street, Woodstock, New Brunswick E7M, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean (within shouting distance of this marker); Bailey House / Maison Bailey (within shouting distance of this marker); Wolverton House / Maison Wolverton (within shouting distance of this marker); Women's Institute Home / Maison de l'Institut féminin (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Brown House / Maison du Dr. Brown (within shouting distance of this marker); Methodist Parsonage / Presbytère méthodiste (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint James United Church / Église unie Saint James (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Judge Jones House / Maison du Juge Jones (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodstock.
Also see . . .
1. James Kidd Flemming (Wikipedia). Flemming was a school teacher and lumberman before entering politics and serving as Provincial Secretary-Treasurer from 1908 to 1911 and Minister of Lands and Mines from 1911-1914. He succeeded Douglas Hazen as the Premier of New Brunswick in 1911. He was president and director of the Flemming and Gibson lumber business in Juniper, New Brunswick. (Submitted on September 9, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Hugh John Flemming (Wikipedia). He is always known as "Hugh John", the son of James Kidd Flemming, Premier of New Brunswick from 1911 to 1914. Hugh John Flemming was first elected to the province's Legislative Assembly in 1944 after more than twenty years as a municipal councillor. As Premier during two terms, (1952-1960), Flemming modernized the province's hydro system, built the Beechwood Dam, then the largest hydro-electric project in the province, and presented a balanced budget every year in office. (Submitted on September 9, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 9, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.