Woodstock in Carleton County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
Wolverton House / Maison Wolverton
123 Chapel Street / 123, rue Chapel
Built in 1889-1890 in the Classic Revival style for Mr. James Wolverton (1856-1917) and his wife Eva (Hovey) this was originally operated as a boarding house. At the time it was said to have one of the finest bathrooms in Carleton County, with both hot and cold water.
The Wolverton's son, Dr. Frank Wolverton (1888-1967) ran his medical practice in the front parlour of the house from 1920 until his death. In 1971 the Royal Canadian Legion (Branch 11) purchased the house and operated it as the only branch-owned Legion Veterans' Home in Canada.
In 2004 Wolverton House came full circle and once again is operated as a boarding house as Mrs. Leonard's Guest House.
Construite en 1889-1890 selon le style néo-classique pour M. James Wolverton (1856-1917) et son épouse Eva (Hovey), cette maison était utilisée initialement comme maison de pension. A cette époque, en disait qu'elle avait l'une des meilleures sales de bains du comté de Carleton avec l'eau chaude et de l'eau froide.
Le fils des Wolverton, Dr Frank Wolverton (1888-1967) a exploité dans
En 2004, la maison Wolverton a complété le cycle complet et elles est à nouveau utilisée comme maison de pension sous le nom Mrs. Leonard's Guest House.
Erected by Woodstock — New Brunswick's First Town / La première ville du Nouveau-Brunswick.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 46° 9.121′ N, 67° 34.58′ W. Marker is in Woodstock, New Brunswick, in Carleton County. Marker is on Chapel Street west of Green Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located directly in front of the subject house, at the northeast corner of the property. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 Chapel Street, Woodstock NB E7M, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Brown House / Maison du Dr. Brown (a few steps from this marker); Flemming House / La Maison Flemming (within shouting distance of this marker); McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge Jones House / Maison du Juge Jones (within shouting distance of this Saint James United Church / Église unie Saint James (within shouting distance of this marker); Bailey House / Maison Bailey (within shouting distance of this marker); Women's Institute Home / Maison de l'Institut féminin (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Methodist Parsonage / Presbytère méthodiste (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodstock.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 227 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.