Woodstock in Carleton County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
Dr. W.D. Rankin House / Maison du Dr. W.D. Rankin
737 Main Street / 737, rue Main
In 1905 Woodstock physician and surgeon Dr. William D. Rankin, who had been instrumental in establishing the first Carleton County Hospital three years previously, purchased this house from John Fisher, one of the owners of the Small & Fisher Foundry. Constructed sometime in the decade before 1887, the house was originally heated by steam piped from the nearby woodworking factory where its owner worked.
Dr. Rankin married Jennie Sharp, daughter of orchardist Francis Peabody Sharp, and was thus a brother-in-law of Minnie Bell Sharp and Tappan Adney.
En 1905, le médecin et chirurgien de Woodstock, Dr William D. Rankin, qui a joué un rôle primordial dans l'établissement du premier hôpital du comté de Carleton trois ans avant, a acheté cette maison de John Fisher, l'un des propriétaires de la Small & Fisher Foundry. Construite au cours de la décennie avant 1887, la maison était chauffée initialement par de la vapeur provenant de l'usine de menuiserie située tout près où son propriétaire travaillait.
Le Dr Rankin a épousé Jennie Sharp, fille de l'arboriculteur
Erected by Woodstock — New Brunswick's First Town / La première ville du Nouveau-Brunswick.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 46° 9.32′ N, 67° 34.37′ W. Marker is in Woodstock, New Brunswick, in Carleton County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Route 103) and Grover Street (Elm Street), on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Marker is located beside the sidewalk at the southwest corner of the intersection, overlooking the front/east side of the house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 737 Main Street, Woodstock, New Brunswick E7M, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Prescott Private Hospital / Hôpital privé Dr Prescott (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); 7.7cm Feldkanone (Field Cannon) / Canon de terrain (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Woodstock Baptist Church / Église Baptiste de Woodstock (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Carleton County Court House / Palais je Justice du comté de Carleton (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Carleton County Gaol / Prison du Comté de Carleton (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); St. Luke's Anglican Church / Église anglicane St. Luke'sSaint James United Church / Église unie Saint James (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); L. P. Fisher Library/Bibliothèque L. P. Fisher (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodstock.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 9, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.