Woodstock in Carleton County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
Dr. Brown House / Maison du Dr. Brown
121 Chapel Street / 121, rue Chapel
This Classic Revival, 2 1/2 story house was built in 1896 for bank manager Mr. George White (1861-1922), and sold to Dr. J.F. Leigh Brown in 1920. Dr. Brown had just returned to Woodstock after being the Chief Medical Officer for Saint John District. During World War II he was a member of the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps and later he was attached to the Carleton and York Regiment as Medical Officer. Dr. Brown's son Randolph later served for many years as Administrator of the Carleton Memorial Hospital.
Cette maison classique de style renouveau à 2 1/2 étages a été construite en 1896 pour le gérant de la banque, M. George White (1861-1922), puis vendu au Dr J.F. Leigh Brown en 1920. Dr Brown était de retour à Woodstock après avoir occupé le poste de médecin en chef pour le district de Saint John. Pendant la deuxième guerre mondiale, il était membre du Corps médical de l'Armée royale canadienne et il a agi comme officier médical pour le régiment Carleton et York. Le fils du Dr Brown, Randolph a agi plus tard comme administrateur de l'Hôpital Carleton Memorial.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 46° 9.12′ N, 67° 34.572′ W. Marker is in Woodstock, New Brunswick, in Carleton County. Marker is on Chapel Street west of Green Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located near the street, directly in front of the subject house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Chapel Street, Woodstock, New Brunswick E7M, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wolverton House / Maison Wolverton (a few steps from this marker); Flemming House / La Maison Flemming (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge Jones House / Maison du Juge Jones (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint James United Church / Église unie Saint James (within shouting distance of this marker); McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean (within shouting distance of this marker); Bailey House / Maison Bailey (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Women's Institute Home / Maison de l'Institut féminin (about 90 meters away); Methodist Parsonage / Presbytère méthodiste (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodstock.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 9, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.