Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Quitman in Wood County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Quitman

 
 
First Baptist Church of Quitman Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
1. First Baptist Church of Quitman Marker
Inscription.  One of the earliest churches in Wood County. Organized Nov. 16, 1850, by pioneer settlers in a meeting moderated by a Cumberland Presbyterian, the Rev. Simon W. Weaver. Charter members included: Ursula Benton; M. M. and Mary Bigham; James, Robert, Silas, Mary A. L., and Elizabeth Duncan; Joseph, Alexander, and Martha Greer; Peter, Frances, and Mary Rozell; James N. Stedman; and John and Augusta Williams.

Worship services were held in homes and open air in early days. A 2-story building with belfry was erected at College and Good streets in 1855 by the Presbyterians and Masons. In 1865 the Masons bought that building and made it available to all faiths until its razing in 1900. On same lot, Baptists and Masons erected another 2-story frame edifice. Under capable pastors, congregation grew. A 1929 building at Lane and College streets was replaced by the present plant in 1952. This bell (used from 1855 to 1929) is preserved as an historical relic.

The pulpit here has been filled by notable guests, including the Rev. George W. Truett, world-renowned minister of Dallas. This is also noted as the home church of James Stephen Hogg (1851-1906),

First Baptist Church of Quitman and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
2. First Baptist Church of Quitman and Marker
the first native-born Governor of Texas.
 
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8955.)
 
Location. 32° 47.875′ N, 95° 26.963′ W. Marker is in Quitman, Texas, in Wood County. Marker is on East Lane Street east of Sissy Spacek Drive, on the left when traveling east. Mounted in a free-standing brick structure. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 East Lane Street, Quitman TX 75783, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wood County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Stephen Hogg (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cathey Buildings (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ambrose Fitzgerald (approx. mile away); County Divided into School Districts (approx. mile away); J. H. Jones and the Old Settlers Reunion Grounds (approx. half a mile away); James Stephen Hogg's Early Home (approx. half a mile away); James A. Stinson Home (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quitman.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for First Baptist Church of Quitman.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 24 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement