Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Chéticamp in Inverness County, Nova Scotia — The Atlantic Provinces
 

The Gypsum Mine/La Mine De Plâtre

 
 
The Gypsum Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, August 28, 2019
1. The Gypsum Mine Marker
Inscription.   Father Pierre Fiset, Chéticamp parish priest, is generally recognized as being responsible for starting the gypsum mine in Chéticamp in 1907. When news broke that a prospector named Grandin had found gypsum in Chéticamp, Father Fiset lost no time in establishing the Great Northern Mining Company Ltd. Shares were issued at five cents each and were immediately purchased by Chéticamp residents as well as residents of the province of Québec, from where the Fisets originated.

In 1907, Father Fiset ordered the construction of a plaster-manufacturing mill, called Le moulin de la mine , at the foot of the mountains of Belle Marche, site of the gypsum quarry. The Grand Opening of the mine and mill operation was held on April 20, 1908. Father Fiset loaded the first gypsum stone into the crusher. The Fiset wharf, located behind the present-day Co-op store, was used to load the Amethyst, a steamboat purchased by Father Fiset with his own money. The sun had risen on a new people of Chéticamp who worked the mine for 10 cents an hour,20 cents if they had their own horse and cart.

C'est au Père Fiset, curé
The Gypsum Mine/La Mine De Plâtre Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel
2. The Gypsum Mine/La Mine De Plâtre Marker
de Chéticamp, que revient l'honneur et le mérite d'avoir lancé la première mine de plâtre de Chéticamp, en l'année 1907.

"Du plâtre dans le Petit Ple"
l'announce de la découverte de plâtre à Chéticamp, par un prospecteur nommé Grandin, le Père Fiset met aussitôt une compagnie sur pied, la Great Northern Mining Company Ltd. Il émet des actions à cinq cents, très populaires auprès des Chéticantains et des Québécois, ses compatriotes. Dès 1907, il fait construire une plâtrière appelée "le moulin de la mine", au des montagnes de Belle-Marche où se trouvait la carrière de gypse. On se servait du quai des Fiset, situé derrière l'actuel magasin Coop, pour y charger l'Améthyst, bateau à vapeur acheté par le Père Fiset avec ses propres deniers.

"Grandiose ouverture le 20 avril 1908"
Le Père Fiset dépose la premiére pierre de gypse dans le broyeur; un nouveau jour vient de se lever pour les Chéticantains qui travaillent à la mine pour un salaire de 10 cents l'heure, 20 cents avec cheval et charrette.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
 
Location. 46° 37.792′ N, 61° 0.785′ W. Marker is in Chéticamp, Nova Scotia, in Inverness County. Marker is on Cabot Trail just north of Barren Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map
The Gypsum Mine/La Mine De Plâtre Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel
3. The Gypsum Mine/La Mine De Plâtre Marker
. Marker is in this post office area: Chéticamp, Nova Scotia B0E 1H0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Voie ferrée et « Lu vieille Louise » / The railroad and "La Vieille Louise" (here, next to this marker); La Bouée du havre / The Harbour Bouy (a few steps from this marker); Tunnel et Quai de la mine / Tunnel and Mine Wharf (within shouting distance of this marker); M. Joseph Macfarland / Mr. Joseph MacFarland (within shouting distance of this marker); Dés l'année suivante, en 1927 / The following year, in 1927 (within shouting distance of this marker); La fin d'un rêve / The End of a Dream (within shouting distance of this marker); Chéticamp War Memorial (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); 1790 - 1990 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chéticamp.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 10, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 245 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 10, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 18, 2021