Near Pittsburg in Camp County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created April 6, 1874
Organized June 20, 1874
Named in Honor of
John Lafayette Camp
Soldier – Lawyer – Statesman.
Member of the Constitutional
Convention 1866, State Senator
Pittsburg, the county seat
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 9789.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. A significant historical date for this entry is April 6, 1874.
Location. 33° 2.325′ N, 94° 57.572′ W. Marker is near Pittsburg, Texas, in Camp County. Marker is on U.S. 271, half a mile north of County Road 4114, on the left when traveling north. Located at a southbound pull-off. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburg TX 75686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel John L. Camp (here, next to this marker); Stafford-Paris House (approx. 2.8 miles away); Abernathy House (approx. 2.9 miles away); William Harrison Pitts (approx. 2.9 Pitts Family Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); First Methodist Church of Pittsburg (approx. 3 miles away); Farmer's Feed and Seed Company (approx. 3 miles away); Camp County Courthouse (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburg.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association on Camp County. (Submitted on September 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.