Mineola Ice, Light and Water Company
The company had a power plant that produced all the electricity for the city. They also had an ice plant that provided ice for local citizens and the refrigerated cars of the T&P Railroad.
The company also furnished water for the city but when the tank was unable to supply all the water needed, the citizens got their water from the local water well downtown.
Lignite coal from the Alba Coal Mines was their energy source and it was delivered to them from the mines by the Katy Railroad. In 1915 after an election showing approval of the City building its own water system, the City purchased the water mains belonging to the Mineola Ice, Light and Water Company.
Erected by Mineola Historic Preservation Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Notable Places • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1902.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C. W. Raines (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saloons in Mineola (about 600 feet away); Mineola (about 600 feet away); Railroads in Mineola (about 600 feet away); Site of the Coleman Family Drug Store and Clinic (about 600 feet away); Mallory Bros. Grocery and Feed Stores (about 700 feet away); Mineola's Jewish Community (about 700 feet away); Gov. James Stephen Hogg and Wood County (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mineola.
Regarding Mineola Ice, Light and Water Company. T&P Railroad was the Texas and Pacific Railway Company.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.