Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Quitman in Wood County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

County Divided into School Districts

 
 
County Divided into School Districts Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
1. County Divided into School Districts Marker
Inscription.  It was not until 1884 that Wood County had public schools. From the date the first settler, Martin Varner, arrived in 1841, the County only had "pay" or "subscription" schools.

On April 24, 1871, the State of Texas approved "section five of an Act to organize and maintain a system of public free schools in the State of Texas". After that date property owners in Wood County were assessed a school tax in accordance with section "five". During a special session of the 18th Legislature on January 8, 1884, it was ordered that Wood County be divided into the following school districts.

Quitman, Lone Star, Myrtle Springs, Forest Hill, Cartwright, Caney, Rock Hill, Forest Home, Winnsboro, Chalybeate Springs, Spring Hill, Smyrna, Cold Springs, Shady Grove, Center Point, Pleasant Grove, Floyd's Common Ridge, Mount Pisgah, Liberty, Sand Springs, Fletcher, Pleasant Divide, Friendship, Lone Point, "Albie", Salem, Webster, Persimmon Grove, Cottonwood, Macedonia, Concord, New Hope, Dyess, Mt. Enterprise. Negro schools were Quitman Cedar Tree, Robinson's Chapel, Muddy Creek, Mount Zion, Tranquil, Center, Hawkins and District 48 which was all the

County Divided into School Districts Marker on left at Courthouse. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
2. County Divided into School Districts Marker on left at Courthouse.
district west of Lake Fork and Shiloh.
 
Erected by Wood County Historical Commission.
 
Location. 32° 47.731′ N, 95° 27.119′ W. Marker is in Quitman, Texas, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of West Bermuda Street (Texas Route 154) and South Main Street (Texas Route 37), on the right when traveling west on West Bermuda Street. Located at the SE corner of the Wood County Courthouse Lawn. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Main Street, Quitman TX 75783, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ambrose Fitzgerald (here, next to this marker); James Stephen Hogg (a few steps from this marker); Wood County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cathey Buildings (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Quitman (approx. mile away); J. H. Jones and the Old Settlers Reunion Grounds (approx. 0.3 miles away); James Stephen Hogg's Early Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); James A. Stinson Home (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quitman.
 
Categories. EducationSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for County Divided into School Districts.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement