Quitman in Wood County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1870 Rains County was created and for the third time Mr. Fitzgerald was chosen first County Clerk for Rains County. In 1871 he resigned from office.
Mr. Fitzgerald, while living in his original homestead, lived in five different counties and served as the first county clerk in three different counties.
Erected by Wood County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is March 17, 1827.
Location. 32° 47.731′ N, 95° 27.118′ W. Marker is in Quitman, Texas, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of West Bermuda Street (Texas Route 154) and South Main Street (Texas Route 37) on West Bermuda Street. Located at the SE corner of the Wood County Courthouse Lawn. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Main Street, Quitman TX 75783, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. County Divided into School Districts (here, next to this marker); James Stephen Hogg (a few steps from this marker); Wood County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cathey Buildings (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Quitman (approx. ¼ mile away); J. H. Jones and the Old Settlers Reunion Grounds (approx. 0.3 miles away); James Stephen Hogg's Early Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); James A. Stinson Home (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quitman.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Marker at his gravesite in Emory, Texas.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 14, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.