Lee Hall in Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1626, William Claiborne patented 500 acres along the Warwick River above Denbign. Captain Samuel Stevens acquired the estate, called Balthrope or Boldrup, in 1631. Stevens married Frances Culpeper who inherited the estate upon his death. Governor Sir William Berkeley married the wealthy widow and sold the 1,350-acre plantation to his close advisor Colonel William Cole in 1671.
William Cole (1638-1694) served as an attorney in Warwick County and commanded the county’s militia. He was a member of the Council of the State from 1674 until 1692. During Bacon’s Rebellion, Cole negotiated unsuccessfully with Nathaniel Bacon to end the conflict and later fled with Governor Berkley to the Eastern Shore. After Bacon’s death, Cole resumed his political career, serving as the colonial
Erected 2007 by Newport News Founders’ Trail.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era.
Location. 37° 10.657′ N, 76° 34.55′ W. Marker is in Lee Hall in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is on Enterprise Drive, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located in Skiffes Creek Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stanley Hundred (here, next to this marker); Skiffes Creek (a few steps from this marker); Mulberry Point (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Eustis Lee’s Mill Earthworks (approx. 0.9 miles away); Glebe Lands (approx. one mile away); Battle of Lee’s Mill (approx. one mile away); Lee’s Mill (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lee Hall.
More about this marker. The left side of the marker contains a painting of Governor Sir William Berkley. The right side of the marker features a picture of “Nathaniel Bacon (right) def[ying] Governor Berkeley during Bacon’s Rebellion, 1676. - Courtesy Central Office of Information, London.” Also present on the marker is a copy of William Cole’s Coat of Arms.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,711 times since then and 189 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.