Halifax in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
"Old" Dalhousie and the Grand Parade
In a long, often acrimonious, debate, Dalhousie pressed the town's later (1841) city's governors to relinquish claim to the Grand Parade. The governors, equally adamant, insisted that the Grand Parade continue to be the central gathering place it had been since 1749. Dalhousie could not develop into the great university it has become, and the city was forced to operate in unsatisfactory rented space.
Sir William Young, a former Premier of Nova Scotia, negotiated an amicable resolution: he provided a financial gift to Dalhousie, the city five acres of land at now University Avenue and Robie Street, and the College relinquished its building and claim to the Grand Parade. Thereupon, Dalhousie built the first of its fine new buildings, on the Forrest campus, and the city demolished "old" Dalhousie and incorporated some of its stone and timbers in the new City Hall.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Halifax-Dartmouth "Markers of Distinction" (Nova Scotia) marker series.
Location. 44° 38.926′ N, 63° 34.522′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Marker can be reached from Argyle Street just south of Duke Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is mounted near ground-level, on a large stone, just to the left of the Halifax City Hall main south entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3A5, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Halifax City Hall / Hôtel de ville d'Halifax (a few steps from this marker); The Grand Parade (within shouting distance of this marker); The Explosion Clock (within shouting distance of this marker); Gilbert Stuart Newton (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); St. Paul’s Church / Église St. Pauls (about 120 meters away); Cast Iron Facade / Façade en Fonte (about 150 meters away); William Thomas (about 150 meters away); South African War Monument (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Halifax City Hall
Also see . . . The "Old" Dalhousie College. (This link presents a clearly legible representation of the "Old" Dalhousie College cornerstone.) The cornerstone of the original Dalhousie College was laid on May 22, 1820 as George Ramsay, ninth Earl of Dalhousie’s last public act in Nova Scotia before becoming the Governor General of Canada. By 1885, Dalhousie needed a larger building, and the city of Halifax was interested in purchasing the Grand Parade property. The original Dalhousie College was demolished in 1886. It was replaced by Halifax’s new City Hall, which retained one ironstone block from the Dalhousie College building in its foundation. (Submitted on September 17, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for "Old" Dalhousie and the Grand Parade.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 17, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.