Halifax in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Atlantic Provinces
The Grand Parade
Saint Paul’s Church was established by Royal Charter in our founding year, becoming the first church in the city and the oldest Protestant church in Canada. Most of the pine and oak in Saint Paul’s is original, from Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
The three-storied City Hall, at the northern end of the Grand Parade, was completed in 1890 and officially opened on May 22 that year. It houses the city council chamber, the offices of the mayor, aldermen and city clerk, and some civic administrative departments.
On March 16, 1978, Halifax City Council authorized the restoration of the Grand Parade, bringing City Hall and Saint Paul’s together across a common green, church and state renewed in the sharing of their city’s hallowed ground.
September 13, 1978
The Honourable Clarence L. Gosse, M.D.
Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia
His Worship Edmund L. Morris
Mayor of The City of Halifax
The Reverend Frederick H. Crook
Rector of Saint Paul’s Church
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 44° 38.909′ N, 63° 34.505′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Marker can be reached from Argyle Street south of Duke Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located at the north end of the Grand Parade, centered between Argyle and Barrington Streets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3A5, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Old" Dalhousie and the Grand Parade (within shouting distance of this marker); Halifax City Hall / Hôtel de ville d'Halifax (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Paul’s Church / Église St. Pauls (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Explosion Clock (about 90 meters away); South African War Monument (about 120 meters away); Gilbert Stuart Newton (about 150 meters away); Province House (about 150 meters away); Cast Iron Facade / Façade en Fonte (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
Also see . . . The Grand Parade (Wikipedia). In 1794 Prince Edward arrived in Halifax to command the military (Submitted on September 17, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 103 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 17, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.