Halifax in Halifax Region, Nova Scotia — The Atlantic Provinces
The Halifax Court House / Le Palais de Justice D'Halifax
The Halifax Court House was designed in 1858 by the Toronto architectural firm of William Thomas and Sons and since its completion in 1863 has housed both county and provincial courts. The building’s importance is reflected in the imposing façade with its classical pediment and Tuscan columns. The wall detail which includes vermiculated stonework and carved keystones, exemplifies the fondness for textured surface which characterizes the work of this celebrated firm of architects. A rear addition was built in 1881, the west wing in 1908, and the east wing in 1930.
Conçu en 1858 par les architectes William Thomas and Sons, de Toronto, le Palais de justice d'Halifax loge les cours du comté et de la province depuis 1863. Sa façade, ennoblie par des colonnes de l'ordre toscan et un imposant fronton, traduit bien l'importance de cet édifice. Le traitement des murs, caractérisé par une pierre vermiculée et les clés de voûte sculptées, illustre les effets texturaux qu'affectionnait cette célèbre firme d'architectes. L'aile arrière date de 1881; l'aile ouest, de 1908; et
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 44° 38.62′ N, 63° 34.429′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Region. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Garden Road and Grafton Street, on the right when traveling east on Spring Garden Road. Marker is mounted at eye-level, just to the right of the Halifax Provincial Court Spring Garden Road entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5250 Spring Garden Road, Halifax NS B3J 1E7, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Alexander Henry (a few steps from this marker); Edmund Burke (within shouting distance of this marker); Philippe Aubert de Gaspé (fils) (within shouting distance of this marker); Pierre Maillard (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mary’s Basilica (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Major General / Major-Général Robert Ross 1766-1814 (about 90 meters away); Carved in Stone (about 90 meters away); Mr. John Samwell (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
Regarding The Halifax Court House / Le Palais de Justice D'Halifax.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. William Thomas Architecture
Also see . . . Old Halifax Court House. After a series of fires in Halifax in 1857, the construction of the Old Court House heralded a new era of both fireproof and more flamboyant courthouse design in Nova Scotia - solid, spacious, two storey buildings of heavy masonry construction that were elaborately decorated and intended to create an impression of stability and strength befitting the halls of justice. (Submitted on September 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.