Kingston in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Andrews Raiders at Kingston
Pursuing from Big Shanty, Capt. W. A. Fuller (Conductor), Jeff Cain (Engineer), & Anthony Murphy [CS], -- using a push-car -- reached the Etowah, where the engine "YONAH" brought them to Kingston; pursuit was resumed on the Rome R.R. locomotive " Wm. R. SMITH.”
Erected 1953. (Marker Number 008-34.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 12, 1880.
Location. 34° 14.155′ N, 84° 56.793′ W. Marker is in Kingston, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of Johnson Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston GA 30145, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rome Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); House - Site Thomas V. B. Hargis (within shouting distance of this marker); Nellie Margaret Harris Applin (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Hospital Site of Wayside Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kingston's Rich, Historical Past (about 300 feet away); Confederate Memorial Day (about 400 feet away); Sherman’s March to the Sea (about 400 feet away); Kingston Methodist Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Regarding The Andrews Raiders at Kingston. Military members of the Andrews Raiders were awarded the first Medals of Honor (now the Congressional Medal of Honor) ever awarded. As a civilian, Andrews was not eligible for the Medal of Honor.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,828 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.