Near Oconto in Oconto County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1851 Jacob Couillard and his wife Susan traveled up the Oconto River and established a store and a community ultimately named after them. The settlement grew to include a school attended by children of settlers and Indians, a church, a store, and a cheese factory. The park is the site of the parsonage associated with the Presbyterian Church.
Erected 2017 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 568.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 44° 51.73′ N, 87° 59.086′ W. Marker is near Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5299 County Hwy J, Oconto WI 54153, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Copper Culture Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Oconto Site (approx. 4.7 miles away); Mission of St. Francois Xavier (approx. 5.3 miles away); First Church of Christ, Scientist (approx. 5.6 miles away); Farnsworth Public Library (approx. 5.8 miles away); Nicholas Perrot (approx. 5.9 miles away); Oconto County Veteran's Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away); Stanley Toy Company (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oconto.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2019, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 18, 2019, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.