St. Louis, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Site of the first Washington University Campus
Washington University in St. Louis
Academic Hall, Washington University's first building completed on its original downtown campus, was located at or near this site when it opened for classes on September 8, 1856. The University moved to its current location on the western edge of Forest Park in 1905.
Installed on the occasion of the University's Sesquicentennial celebration during the 2003-2004 academic year.
Erected 2003 by Washington University in St. Louis.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is September 8, 1856.
Location. 38° 37.988′ N, 90° 12.219′ W. Marker is in St. Louis, Missouri. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Avenue and North 17th Street, on the right on Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1706 Washington Avenue, Saint Louis MO 63103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aloe Plaza (approx. 0.3 miles away); Union Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lambert-Deacon-Hull Printing Company Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Packard BuildingPierre Laclède (approx. 0.4 miles away); Peerless Building (approx. half a mile away); Willys Building (approx. half a mile away); General Ulysses S. Grant (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 18, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.