Fredericton in York County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
York County Court House / Le Palais de Justice du Comté de York
Opened about 1858, this building is the earliest surviving New Brunswick court house constructed of brick. It represents the beginning of the trend toward the widespread use of brick and stone in public buildings in the province. County court houses were important symbols of colonial authority in New Brunswick where magistrates both administered justice and supervised local affairs. The building was designed to house a market on the ground floor, with court rooms situated above. This structure is unique among extant court houses in the Maritimes in its amalgamation of market and court uses under one roof.
Inauguré vers 1858, cet édifice est le plus ancien palais de justice construit en briques à subsister au Nouveau-Brunswick. Il marque le début de la mode des matériaux durs pour la construction des édifices publics de la province. Les palais de justice de comté constituaient d'importants symboles du pouvoir colonial, puisque la magistrature chargée de rendre la justice et de surveiller les affaires locales y siégeait. Ce bâtiment abritait un marché au rez-de-chaussée
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 45° 57.652′ N, 66° 38.25′ W. Marker is in Fredericton, New Brunswick, in York County. Marker is on Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102) 0.1 kilometers west of St. John Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, just to the left of the main front entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 649 Queen Street, Fredericton, New Brunswick E3B 1C3, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Brunswick's 104th Regiment of Foot (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Right Honourable William Maxwell Lord Beaverbrook (about 150 meters away); Charles Fisher (about 150 meters away); First Ministry of Health / Le Premier Ministère de la Santé (about 150 meters away); Lemuel Allan Wilmot (about 150 meters away); Sir Howard DouglasEpic Winter March of New Brunswick Soldiers in the War of 1812 (about 180 meters away); Juliana Horatia (Gatty) Ewing (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericton.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 22, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3. submitted on September 23, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.