Fredericton in York County, New Brunswick — The Canadian Atlantic
Fredericton City Hall / L'Hôtel de ville de Fredericton
Built in 1875-1876 to the design of architects McKean and Fairweather, this is the oldest municipal hall in Atlantic Canada still used for civic administration. Its imposing exterior and the many functions it has performed illustrate the building’s importance to community life. Originally the municipal offices and council chambers occupied the first storey, and a public hall, known as the Opera House, dominated the upper floor. The building is distinguished by the use of its basement as a market prior to 1951, a function rarely combined with municipal halls by the late 19th century.
Construite en 1875-1876 selon les plans des architectes McKean et Fairweather, cet édifice est le plus vieil hôtel de ville de la région de l’Atlantique qui serve encore aux affaires municipales. Son extérieur imposant et sa polyvalence dénotent bien son importance pour la collectivité. À l'origine, les services municipaux et la salle du conseil occupaient le rez-de-chaussée, et l’on trouvait á l'étage une grande salle communément appelée l'Opéra. Suivant une pratique devenue rare á la fin du
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 45° 57.801′ N, 66° 38.591′ W. Marker is in Fredericton, New Brunswick, in York County. Marker is on York Street just north of Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102), on the left when traveling north. Marker is mounted at eye-level near the southeast corner of the City Hall building, below the main front staircase, facing York Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 397 Queen Street, Fredericton, New Brunswick E3B 1B5, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The 104th Regiment / Le 104e Régiment (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Fredericton Military Compound / Le Complexe Militaire de Frédéricton (about 210 meters away); St. Paul's United Church (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); York County Court House / Le Palais de Justice du Comté de York (approx. half a kilometer away); Charles Fisher (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); First Ministry of Health / Le Premier Ministère de la Santé Lemuel Allan Wilmot (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Sir Howard Douglas (approx. 0.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericton.
Regarding Fredericton City Hall / L'Hôtel de ville de Fredericton. National Historic Site of Canada (1984)
Also see . . .
1. Fredericton City Hall. The old City Hall - including the city office, council chamber, magistrate's office, jail, farmers market and opera house - was erected on Phoenix Square in 1876. Mayor George F. Fenety donated his salary to initiate a fund-raising drive for a tower clock. Its eight-foot dials, copper hands and reliable chimes have been keeping downtown businesses and customers in line ever since. The fountain in front of City Hall, Mayor Fenety's second term project, was constructed in 1885. (Submitted on September 22, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Fredericton City Hall (Wikipedia). (Submitted on September 22, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Fredericton City Hall / L'Hôtel de ville de Fredericton.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on September 21, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 22, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.