Fredericton in York County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
St. Paul's United Church
Built in 1886, St. Paul's is a fine example of High Victorian Gothic Revival architecture, fashionable in Canada during the second half of the 19th century. The style is marked by a bold and vigorous approach to design, which freely interprets earlier Gothic precedents. Typical stylistic features in this former Presbyterian church are the soaring corner tower, intersecting roof ridges and richly varied details, including the rusticated and polychromed stonework. The rose window, derived from the French Gothic, indicates a new openness toward non-English design sources at this time.
Construite en 1886, cette ancienne église presbytérienne offre un bel exemple de l'architecture néo-gothique de l'apogée victorien, en vogue au Canada dans la seconde moitié du XIXe siècle. Ce style audacieux et vigoureux s'inspire librement des modèles gothiques antérieurs. Le clocher d'angle élancé, les arêtes entrecroisées du toit et la richesse des détails, dont la maçonnerie en pierre polychrome rustiquée, en sont ici des éléments caractéristiques. La rosace, empruntée au gothique français,
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 45° 57.6′ N, 66° 38.732′ W. Marker is in Fredericton, New Brunswick, in York County. Marker is on George Street just east of York Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located at the northwest corner of St. Paul's United Church, just to the right of the main front entrance, facing George Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 224 York Street, Fredericton, New Brunswick E3B 3P1, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Albion House 1871 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Fredericton City Hall / L'Hôtel de ville de Fredericton (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The 104th Regiment / Le 104e Régiment (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Fredericton Military Compound / Le Complexe Militaire de Frédéricton (approx. half a kilometer away); Epic Winter March of New Brunswick Soldiers in the War of 1812 (approx. Birthplace of the Canadian Army (approx. half a kilometer away); Juliana Horatia (Gatty) Ewing (approx. half a kilometer away); Charles Rainsford's Brave Rescue (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericton.
Also see . . . St. Paul's United Church History. The history of St. Paul’s United Church begins in 1829 when a public meeting was held to discuss the building of a Presbyterian Church in Fredericton. Rev. John Birkmyre arrived in October 1832 to become the first minister at the Old Kirk, as St. Paul’s was known locally. When St. Paul’s celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1882, plans were under way for a new building. To make way for its construction, the Old Kirk was moved to the site now occupied by Fraser Memorial Hall. Four years later, on January 10, 1886, the new St. Paul’s was dedicated. This is the church building we still use today. (Submitted on September 23, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 75 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 23, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.