Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
Loyalist House / La Maison Loyaliste
This gracious building is a well-preserved example of the homes built by prosperous United Empire Loyalists and their descendants. Constructed before 1820 by the merchant David Merritt, this house was maintained with minimal change by five generations of his family who lived here until 1959. Its harmonious proportions, symmetrical composition and interior layout and detailing show the influence of the classical tradition brought from New England. One of the oldest residences in the city, Loyalist House is an important survivor of the Great Fire which destroyed much of central Saint John in 1877.
Cette élégante demeure offre un bel exemple des maisons construites par de riches Loyalistes et leurs descendants. Elle fut érigée avant 1820 par le marchand David Merritt et cinq générations de sa famille l'habitèrent jusqu'en 1959, assurant ainsi sa remarquable conservation. Les proportions harmonieuses et symétriques ainsi que l'organisation et les détails intérieurs reflètent la tradition classique britannique de la Nouvelle-Angleterre. Fière survivante du grand incendie de
Erected 2001 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 45° 16.475′ N, 66° 3.679′ W. Marker is in Saint John, New Brunswick, in Saint John County. Marker is on Union Street just west of Germain Street (Wellington Row), on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted at waist-level, directly on the subject house, below the front staircase, facing Union Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 Union Street, Saint John NB E2L 1A3, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1 Chipman Hill (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); St. John's (stone) Church / L'Église St. John (about 150 meters away); The Great Fire of 1877/L’incendie de 1877 (about 180 meters away); Saint John City Market (about 180 meters away); Here Stood the House Occupied by Benedict Arnold (about 210 meters away); The Marco PoloSaint John 225th Anniversary Clock (about 210 meters away); Centerbeam Place (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint John.
Also see . . . Loyalist House – Saint John. The Merritt family from Rye, New York came to Saint John in 1783 with the Queen’s Rangers after defeat in the American Revolution. A large branch of the family moved on to Ontario where they rose to military and business success. Thomas and Amy Merritt stayed on in Saint John with their family. Their third son, David Daniel, constructed “Loyalist House” circa 1811 for himself and his family of seven on the corner of Union and Germain streets. (Submitted on September 24, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 24, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.