Portage des Sioux in St. Charles County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Our Lady of the Rivers
Monument to a memory
The fiberglass statue rises 25 feet high and is mounted on a 20-foot concrete pedestal. It was designed by Norma McClory and was dedicated on October 13, 1957.
Location. 38° 55.86′ N, 90° 20.319′ W. Marker is in Portage des Sioux, Missouri, in St. Charles County. Marker can be reached from River View Drive 0.1 miles north of Le Sieur Street, in the median. When entering the town of Portage des Sioux, there are signs that point where to go to find it. There is free parking and the statue is just a short walk from the lot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Portage des Sioux MO 63373, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Francis of Assisi Church (within shouting distance of this marker); St Rose Philippine Duchesne 1815 Treaty (within shouting distance of this marker); Portage des Sioux 1798 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewis & Clark 1804 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Forts and Blockhouses (about 400 feet away); Pere Marquette & Joliet 1673 (about 500 feet away); Louisiana Territory (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portage des Sioux.
More about this marker. It is not known when this marker was placed, or the organization/group behind it.
Regarding Our Lady of the Rivers. Putting the story, as mentioned on the marker, in great detail: when flood waters threatened to ravage the town of Portage des Sioux in 1951, Father Edward B. Schlattmann, pastor of St. Francis Church, asked his parish, Legion of Mary, to pray to the Blessed Virgin for protection, calling her "our lady of the rivers" (because of the town being nearby the Mississippi, Illinois and Missouri Rivers). The town was spared, and in appreciation, the parish decided to erect a statue. Donations had poured in from throughout the world, as news spread about the 1951 story. The statue was dedicated on October 13, 1957, and 10,000 people were in attendance.
Please keep in mind that this marker, while accessible 24/7 throughout the year, can be vulnerable to floods. There have been times where this marker, as well as the bottom parts of the statue, have been underwater because of high water.
Also see . . . Our Lady of the Rivers Shrine Official Website. (Submitted on September 23, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Disasters •
More. Search the internet for Our Lady of the Rivers.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 23, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.