Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Windham Center in Windham County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Windham

 
 
Windham Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, September 19, 2019
1. Windham Marker
Inscription.  The area which became Windham was a part of Joshúa's Tract, bequeathed to Captain John Mason and other Norwich men in a will dated February 29, 1675, by Mohegan Indian chief Joshua, son of Uncas. The gift included land in the present towns of Windham, Mansfield and Chaplin and parts of Hampton and Scotland. The town name was derived from Wymondham (pronounced "Windham") parish in Norfolkshire, English home of a number of early settlers. By 1692 settlements in Windham were located at the Hither-place (Windham Center), Ponde- place (Mansfield Center), and in the valley of the Willimantic River. On May 12, 1692, the Connecticut General Court incorporated the settlement as the Town of Windham, and the first public town meeting was held on June 12, 1692. Windham completed its meeting house in 1703, the year that Mansfield became a separate town. The Reverend Thomas Clap, president of Yale College 1739 to 1766, was pastor in Windham Center from 1726 until 1739.

During the first half of the eighteenth century Windham developed as the political and economic center of northeastern Connecticut. A court of probate was established in 1719
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and Windham became the county seat of Windham County in 1726.

In the decades before the Revolutionary War Windham experienced the revivalism of the Great Awakening and was the site where the Susquehannah Land Company was formed in 1753, During the Revolutionary era Windham was one of the principal eastern Connecticut communities which provided decisive support for the Patriot cause. Windham's Sons of Liberty were prominent in Connecticut's repudiation of British policies in the 1760’s and 1770’s, and throughout the Revolutionary War Windham supported the American forces with men, powder, and provisions.
 
Erected 1976 by The Town of Windham, the Windham American Revolution Bicentennial Commission, the Windham Historical Society and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1675.
 
Location. 41° 41.96′ N, 72° 9.47′ W. Marker is in Windham, Connecticut, in Windham County. It is in Windham Center. Marker is at the intersection of Windham Green Road and Plains Road, on the left when traveling north on Windham Green Road. Located on the Windham Green. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 Windham Green Rd, Windham CT 06280, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
Windham Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, September 19, 2019
2. Windham Marker
of this marker. The Battle of the Frogs (a few steps from this marker); Charter Oak Sapling (a few steps from this marker); Windham World War II Monument (a few steps from this marker); Windham Free Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Windham Vietnam Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Chester Hunt Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Miss Laura Huntington House (within shouting distance of this marker); Shubul Abbe House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Windham.
 
Also see . . .
1. Town of Windham, Connecticut. (Submitted on September 23, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Windham, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 23, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Windham Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, September 19, 2019
3. Windham Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 23, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=140008

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024