Mackay in Custer County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Ghost Town of Mackay Idaho
After copper was discovered in the White Knob Mountains in 1879, Cliff City and White Knob sprang up to support the mines. The boomtowns were home to hundreds of miners and boasted stores, saloons, a post office, school and theater. Both town died in the early 20th century, as Mackay became the regional mining center and the copper industry waned.
Erected by Idaho Historical Society and Idaho Transportation Department. (Marker Number 509.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 54.912′ N, 113° 36.78′ W. Marker is in Mackay, Idaho, in Custer County. Marker is on Custer Street (U.S. 93) near Capital Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 Custer Avenue, Mackay ID 83251, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goodin's River (approx.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Ghost Town of Mackay Idaho.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.