Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Canadian Atlantic
St. John's (stone) Church / L'Église St. John
Constructed in 1824-1825, St. John’s is one of the earliest Gothic Revival churches in Canada. Its name, the Stone Church, reflects the high quality of its regularly coursed masonry. The skillful treatment of its Gothic tracery and a tower topped with stylized finials animate the composition. This addition of Gothic embellishment to a traditional church scheme reflects the transition from 18th-century classical forms to the romanticism of early Canadian Gothic. In large part through the urging of Anglican Bishop John Medley, the chancel of St. John’s was added in 1872.
Construite en 1824-1825, cette église est l'une des premiers bâtiments de style néo-gothique au Canada. Son surnom « Stone Church » souligne la qualité supérieure de la maçonnerie d’assises régulières. L’ingéniosité des détails gothiques et une tour couronnée de fleurons stylisés affinent sa composition. Cette superposition de motifs gothiques à une configuration traditionnelle reflète la transition des formes du classicisme du XVIIIe siècle au romantisme des premiers édifices néo-gothiques au Canada. Grâce
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 45° 16.562′ N, 66° 3.696′ W. Marker is in Saint John, New Brunswick, in Saint John County. Marker is at the intersection of Carleton Street and Wellington Row, on the right when traveling west on Carleton Street. Marker is located directly in front of St. John's Church, just to the left of the front entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 87 Carleton Street, Saint John, New Brunswick E2L 2Z2, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Loyalist House / La Maison Loyaliste (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); 1 Chipman Hill (about 210 meters away); Saint John City Market (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Great Fire of 1877/L’incendie de 1877 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); King Edward VII Memorial Bandstand (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Marco Polo (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); King’s Square (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Centerbeam Place (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint John.
Regarding St. John's (stone) Church / L'Église St. John.
Also see . . . St. John’s Stone Church. It was named a Garrison Church in 1824, when the Lieutenant-Governor donated £600 to help defray the cost of building. The church is still used by the military to this day for special church services. Since then, the church has maintained its connections to England and the Church of England. The Linking Stone, set in the Chancel arch, is a piece of Caen stone which once formed part of the chancel of St. Andrew’s Church, Steyning, Sussex, England. The stone thus forms a link between St. John’s Church and the Church of our forefathers in ancient Britain. There is still a pew in the church that is reserved as the Garrison Officers’ Pew, and the royal coat of arms still hangs from the balcony. (Submitted on September 25, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for St. John's (stone) Church / L'Église St. John.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 24, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.