Woodstock in Carleton County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
Bailey House / Maison Bailey
130 Chapel Street / 130, rue Chapel
Believed to have been built in the 1860’s for the Hon. Charles Connell, this Gothic Revival house was leased to Charles Bailey, a shoemaker and carpenter from the 1870’s through to his death in 1902. Bailey may have been associated with the Bailey brothers Boot and Shoe Store, which stood on Main Street near the Town Square until it was destroyed in the great fire of 1877.
In December of 1975 a major fire destroyed most of the interior of the house and was called "a total loss". Luckily the exterior, including the elaborate bargeboards and finials was spared. The MacMillan family had the interior totally rebuilt in 1976.
On croit qu'elle a été construite dans les années 1860 pour l'Hon. Charles Connell, cette maison de style néogothique a été louée à Charles Bailey, un cordonnier et charpentier, des années 1870 jusqu'à sa mort en 1902. M. Bailey aurait pu être associé au magasin Bailey brothers Boot and Shoe Store, qui était situé sur la rue Main près de la place municipale jusqu'à sa destruction dans le grand incendie de 1877.
En décembre 1975, un incendie
Erected by Woodstock — New Brunswick's First Town / La première ville du Nouveau-Brunswick.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 46° 9.143′ N, 67° 34.633′ W. Marker is in Woodstock, New Brunswick, in Carleton County. Marker is on Chapel Street west of Orange Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 Chapel Street, Woodstock, New Brunswick E7M, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Methodist Parsonage / Presbytère méthodiste (a few steps from this marker); Women's Institute Home / Maison de l'Institut féminin (a few steps from this marker); McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean (a few steps from this marker); Flemming House / La Maison Flemming (within shouting distance of this marker); L.P. Fisher Vocational School / École professionnelle L.P. Fisher (within shouting distance of this marker); Wolverton House / Maison Wolverton (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Brown House / Maison du Dr. Brown (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Saint James United Church / Église unie Saint James (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodstock.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 92 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 25, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.