Midland in Midland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Old Midland Army Flying School
The field was used as an Army Air Forces instructor school (bombardier) until World War II ended later that year.
After military phase-out, 1947, commercial field opened 1950.
Erected 1968 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4854.)
Location. 31° 56.229′ N, 102° 12.48′ W. Marker is in Midland, Texas, in Midland County. Marker is on La Force Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located near the entrance to the terminal at the Midland International Air & Space Port. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9506 La Force Boulevard, Midland TX 79706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Midland County (approx. one mile away); Comanche War Trail Ector County (approx. 6.6 miles away); Emmet V. Headlee, M.D (approx. 7 miles away); Midland Christian College (approx. 7.2 miles away); National Portable Drilling Machines (approx. 7.6 miles away); Forth Worth “Super D” Spudder (approx. 7.6 miles away); Wichtex 18 Spudder (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Midland.
Also see . . . Midland Army Air Field - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on September 27, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World II •
More. Search the internet for Site of Old Midland Army Flying School.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.