Georgetown in Bear Lake County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
First Public Building
Originally known a Twin Creeks, Joseph C. Rich surveyed the site in 1871. In 1872, the new settlement was named Georgetown in honor of George C. Cannon. The first public building, used as a church, school and community center, is situated 1 block south and 1/2 block west of here. In 1966, the building was given to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers and is now a pioneer Relic Hall.
Erected by Idaho Historical Society and Idaho Transportation Department. (Marker Number 499.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 28.578′ N, 111° 22.218′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Idaho, in Bear Lake County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 30) near Stringtown Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 387 Highway 30, Georgetown ID 83239, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. This verdant valley, a welcome oasis (approx. Georgetown's First Public Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); White Dugway (approx. 11.1 miles away); Old Tithing Office (approx. 11.3 miles away); A Strong Building, Stock Chevys and Railroad (approx. 11.4 miles away); Cleaners, Hospital, Plumbers and a Big Bear (approx. 11.4 miles away); A Look at Memory Lane (approx. 11.4 miles away); Second Bank of Montpelier (approx. 11.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
More about this marker. This marker is located in Georgetown's City Park;
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for First Public Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 28, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.