Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Wartburg in Monroe County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Holy Cross Lutheran Church of Wartburg

 
 
Holy Cross Lutheran Church of Wartburg Marker image. Click for full size.
September 28, 2019
1. Holy Cross Lutheran Church of Wartburg Marker
Inscription.  The church was organized in 1841 by pastor G. A. Schieferdecker and settlers from Saxony, Thuringia, and Westfalia, Germany. The site was donated in 1849 by Johann Christian and Katherine Just. The present church was erected in 1863, and the tower was rebuilt in 1913. English services were introduced in 1926 but did not predominate until 1946. Monthly German services were discontinued in 1967. The congregation also operated a Christian Day school here from 1841 until 1960. Holy Cross is considered the mother church of several surrounding congregations.
 
Erected 1996 by Holy Cross Lutheran Church and the Illinois State Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
 
Location. 38° 17.344′ N, 90° 11.816′ W. Marker is near Wartburg, Illinois, in Monroe County. Marker is on Maeystown Road south of Ahne Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker
Holy Cross Lutheran Church of Wartburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Thomas Smith, December 22, 2019
2. Holy Cross Lutheran Church of Wartburg Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
is at or near this postal address: 5765 Maeystown Road, Waterloo IL 62298, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salem-Baum Evangelical Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); James Lemen (approx. 2.7 miles away); Veterans Memorial for All Wars (approx. 2.8 miles away); Potter's Field (approx. 3.6 miles away); James Moore Cabin (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Bellefontaine Bridge (approx. 3.6 miles away); La Belle Fontaine (approx. 3.6 miles away); Bellefontaine House (approx. 3.6 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 30, 2019. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 30, 2019.   2. submitted on December 22, 2019, by Thomas Smith of Waterloo, Ill. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=140384

Paid Advertisement
Aug. 3, 2021