Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Moreland in Bingham County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Moreland Settlement

 
 
Moreland Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 11, 2019
1. Moreland Settlement Marker
Inscription.  Moreland, Bingham County, Idaho, was carved out of flat, sagebrush-covered land inhabited by snakes and jackrabbits. It received its name from a remark made by an apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints While visiting the area he stood on the seat of a buggy which he was riding and said, "This is more land and here and we'll make a settlement."
Names of the first settlers included John England, Thomas and Alexander Clement, Hans P. and Christian J. Christiansen, Josiah Hatch, Herbert Brown, Timothy Miller, John Munson, and Josiah Draper. These settlers immigrated from England and the Scandinavian countries. Soon others followed, some from settlements in Utah.
On November 17, 1894, Herbert Brown and John England plowed the first furor for the People's Canal, bringing water from the Snake River. Hyrum Grimmett was the first postmaster, and the post office was located in his home. On March 17, 1896, the Moreland Ward was organized with Hans P. Christiansen as bishop. In the fall of 1893 Josiah Draper built the first log house. The first meeting house, built in 1896, was also used for school with Hyrum Gimmett as the
Moreland Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 11, 2019
2. Moreland Settlement Marker
teacher.
 
Erected 1991 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Syringa Camp. (Marker Number 458.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 43° 13.359′ N, 112° 26.431′ W. Marker is in Moreland, Idaho, in Bingham County. Marker is on West 175 North (Center Street) near North 725 West, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 740 West 175 North, Moreland ID 83256, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Central Ferry Station (approx. 4.7 miles away); Lava Formations (approx. 10.3 miles away); Shoshone-Bannock Tribes Memorial Honor Roll (approx. 13.7 miles away); Fort Hall (approx. 13.7 miles away); Shoshone and Bannock Tribes (approx. 14 miles away); Shoshone-Bannock Tribes: Beyond the Reservation (approx. 14 miles away); Newe'm Bo'ai -- "Indian Road" (approx. 14 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Hall (approx. 17.1 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker is near the L.D.S. church.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Moreland Settlement.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 1, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement