Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Central Forty and The Diag

 
 
The Central Forty and The Diag Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, April 4, 2016
1. The Central Forty and The Diag Marker
Inscription.  In 1837, the University of Michigan was relocated from Detroit to Ann Arbor where the Ann Arbor Land Company had donated forty acres of land for the site of the university. This original forty acre campus was the area of Central Campus bounded by State Street, North, South, and East University Avenues. Buildings were first placed around the perimeter of campus, facing out to the city streets, beginning with four faculty houses in 1840, and the first classroom/dormitory building in 1841. Of those, only the President's House remains. The inside of the campus was kept as an undeveloped open space. By 1850, diagonal paths emerged, created by students and faculty walking from the corners across campus. These were soon covered with boardwalks and the major path became known as the Diag. In the 1850s, many trees were planted along the walks, giving more formality to the interior of campus. As the university grew, buildings began to occupy the interior of the site, such as the first library built near the center of campus in 1883. The Diag, now referring to the central open space, was more formally developed in the twentieth century, and continues to
The Central Forty and The Diag Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, April 4, 2016
2. The Central Forty and The Diag Marker
be the heart of the campus, and a major gathering spot. Generations of students have walked this same diagonal path as have countless respected faculty, alumni, staff, and visitors.
 
Erected 2006 by History and Traditions Committee. (Marker Number 20.)
 
Location. 42° 16.602′ N, 83° 44.282′ W. Marker is in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker can be reached from South University Avenue. Marker is in the center of the University of Michigan's Central Campus in front of Hatcher Graduate Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 913 South University Avenue, Ann Arbor MI 48109, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan Summer Symposium in Theoretical Physics (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Medical Buildings (about 500 feet away); William L. Clements Library (about 600 feet away); East University Avenue Campus Boundary (about 600 feet away); The President's House (about 600 feet away); The Denison Archway (about 600 feet away); Martha Cook Building (about 700 feet away); Engineering at Michigan (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
 
Also see . . .  The Diag. Wikipedia article (Submitted on October 1, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
 
 
Categories. EducationMan-Made Features
 

More. Search the internet for The Central Forty and The Diag.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 1, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of The Diag • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement