Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Waterloo in Monroe County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Brey Building

115 & 117 East Mill

 

— Waterloo, Monroe Co., Ill., Laid out in 1818 —

 
Strellis And Field Marker image. Click for full size.
1. Strellis And Field Marker
Inscription.  John Coleman purchased three lots (115, 117, and 119 East Mill) in 1834. The present building at 115 was built before the Civil War. In 1862 Coleman sold the property to William Hursey who later sold it to Paul C. Brey, who was a German native born near Ulm; Brey came to America in 1849 with his father and attended one session at the public school in Williamsburg, New York. in 1852, he came west to St. Louis to join his father and worked in a wholesale book and stationary house in St. Louis until 1857. After learning the business, he settled in Monroe County and became postmaster in Burksville. He married Alexander Dufree's daughter, Sophia in 1860. In 1863 he was elected a justice of the peace. in 1873, he was elected county clerk and was re-elected three times.

In 1925, the heirs of Paul C. Brey, sold the building to Leo W. Sendelbeck's Electric at these premises, including a shed in the back of 117. A noted Physician, Doctor Cox rented space from the Sendelbecks for a short time.

Jack Strellis purchased the building located at 115 E. Mill Street in 1983 from Leo Sendelbeck, Jr., Clarence Sendelbeck and Dorothy M. Reh, children

The Brey Building image. Click for full size.
By Thomas Smith, December 20, 2019
2. The Brey Building
of Leo Sendelbeck, Sr. In 1984, Strellis and his then partner Otto Faulbaum renovated the entire space consistent with federal historic preservation directives and added the present conference room and two-story office space onto the rear of 115. These renovations were completed by January 1985. 115 is the only building in Monroe County that benefited from "historic preservation" tax credits.

In 1990, Strellis purchased 117 from William and Nancy Nobbe. Renovations began in 2011 and were completed in the Summer of 2012 connecting both buildings as one, having designed within offices and a great room, commonly known as the "war room" used to prepare for trials and plan for ensuing battles in the US and State courts. the Nobbes previously operated 117 as an apartment building. Margaret Mueth, a spinster who worked at the knitting mill, owned 117 from 1918 through 1966 living on the first floor and renting the second floor as apartments. 117 was erected in the late 1840's or early 1850's. Historically credible stories have been told that 117 was once a brothel and the rear access could be gained from the Saloon/Hotel next door at 199 E. Mill Street (Berger Building). In contrast, it has been told that this building was once a women's seminary and a women's finishing school. Within the face of 117 an archway was erected in its middle that acted as a coach entrance.

It became

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
known from the remodeling and construction that 117 was the first building built and that both buildings to its sides were attached later. The quality of brickwork on the face of the exposed brick in the staircase and the chopped in beam pockets show that 115 was added to the west side of 117 shortly after It was built. At an earlier time, the three buildings had connected passages between them; the use of the passageways is not completely known.
 
Erected 2018 by Waterloo Beautification Commitee.
 
Location. 38° 20.183′ N, 90° 8.975′ W. Marker is in Waterloo, Illinois, in Monroe County. Marker is on East Mill Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 East Mill Street, Waterloo IL 62298, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bison (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stroh Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Commercial State Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Schorr Brewing Co. (about 300 feet away); The Pluth Building (about 400 feet away); Monroe County Bicentennial Bandstand (about 400 feet away); City Hotel (about 400 feet away); The Küenster Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterloo.
 
Additional keywords.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Law & Justice

 
Categories. ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for The Brey Building.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2019. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on October 2, 2019.   2. submitted on December 20, 2019, by Thomas Smith of Waterloo, Ill. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement