Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Canterbury in Windham County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Canterbury

 
 
Canterbury Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 19, 2019
1. Canterbury Marker
Inscription.  
Canterbury
Originally part of Plainfield the town was incorporated in October, 1703. The town area includes the original Quinebaug Plantation of Major James Fitch, son of the Reverend James Fitch of Saybrook Fort, a first settler of Norwich in 1659. Major Fitch became in 1697 the first Puritan settler at Peagscomsuck, that portion of the Colony of Connecticut comprising the most fertile, stone-free area in the Quinebaug Valley, known as the Quinebaug Country. It was claimed and held by the Narragansett Indians until King Philip's War in 1675. In the nearby village of Packer is the site of a trading post established by Roger Williams, of Providence Plantations, soon after the Pequot War in 1637. This area subsequently became a settlement for Rhode Island planters.

( back )
General Moses Cleaveland, lawyer, veteran of the Revolutionary War and founder, of the city of Cleveland, Ohio, in the Western Reserve, was born in Canterbury on January 29, 1754, and died here November 16, 1806. In 1831 Miss Prudence Crandall of South Canterbury, Quaker school teacher, opened a boarding school for young ladies here
Canterbury Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 19, 2019
2. Canterbury Marker
( back )
at Canterbury Green, in the house built by Elisha Paine in 1792. Because she accepted a black girl as a day student she. became a victim of the prejudice, bigotry and snobbery of puritan intolerance, which prevailed on Canterbury Green at the time. With the courage of her convictions she established the first school for black girls in the State of Connecticut in April. 1833
Erected by the Town of Canterbury
the Canterbury American Revolution
Bicentennial Commission
the Canterbury Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1976

 
Erected 1976.
 
Location. 41° 41.851′ N, 71° 58.284′ W. Marker is in Canterbury, Connecticut, in Windham County. Marker is at the intersection of S Canterbury Road (Connecticut Route 169) and Westminster Road (Connecticut Route 14), on the right when traveling north on S Canterbury Road. Located on the Canterbury Green. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 S Canterbury Rd, Canterbury CT 06331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Congregational Church Parsonage (within shouting distance of this marker); Prudence Crandall School (within shouting distance of this marker); Canterbury Veterans Monuments (approx. 1.2 miles away); World War II Commemorative Tree
Canterbury Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 19, 2019
3. Canterbury Marker
(approx. 1.2 miles away); St. John s Parish World War I Monument (approx. 3 miles away); Plainfield Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.1 miles away); Plainfield World War II Monument (approx. 3.1 miles away); Plainfield Veterans Monument (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canterbury.
 
Also see . . .
1. Town of Canterbury. (Submitted on October 3, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Canterbury, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 3, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Canterbury.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 3, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement