Near Xenia in Greene County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1854, Samuel and Rebecca McClellan Collins deeded 1.28 acres to Beavercreek Township, Greene County, for the purpose of building a schoolhouse. The first two schoolhouses were constructed of stone with fireplaces for heat. Collins neighborhood children in first through eighth grade were educated in the present red brick building until 1944, when decreased enrollment forced Xenia Township to close the school. Virgil and Helen Bryson Brantley, great-granddaughter of Samuel and Rebecca Collins, purchased the school property in 1982 and began the restoration of the vandalized and deteriorated schoolhouse. The pony/coal shed and privies were rebuilt on their foundations.
The Brantleys enlisted two teachers to research and organize a curriculum of rural education. On August 30, 1986, Collins School was formally “re-dedicated for the purpose of education.” That fall, students from area schools were invited to experience a day of “readin’, ritin’ and ’rithmetic” as it would have taken place in the late 1800s. Each year, nearly 2,400 children and adults enjoy this opportunity led by the Collins’ teachers. The students learn citizenship
Erected 2003 by Collins School, Inc. and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 11-29.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
Location. 39° 45.961′ N, 83° 56.882′ W. Marker is near Xenia, Ohio, in Greene County. Marker is on Enon Road, 0.1 miles north of Ohio Route 235, on the right when traveling north. Collins School is about two miles north of Oldtown. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2810 W Enon Road, Xenia OH 45385, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Col. Daniel Boone (approx. 2.6 miles away); Old Chillicothe (approx. 2.6 miles away); Site of Old Chillicothe (approx. 2.6 miles away); Ten Kentucky Soldiers Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); U Mkvwalamakufewa Tikvmfa / Memorial to Tecumtha (approx. 2.7 miles away); Yellow Springs (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Bullskin Trail (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Sexton Point (approx. 2.9 miles away).
1. Private property
This marker is on private property. Please respect the owner's privacy and only access the site with permission.
— Submitted July 28, 2021, by Robert Baughman of Bellefontaine, Ohio.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,808 times since then and 320 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 2, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.