Clinton in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Red Mill Museum Village
Altogether, the various members of the Mulligan family operated the quarry for over 115 years, employing family as well as outside laborers, many who also emigrated from Ireland.
Francis, Patrick, and Terrence Mulligan arrived in Clinton between 1837 and 1842, from the town of Belturbet in Cavan County, Ireland. Initially, they worked as day laborers burning lime at the quarry In 1844 they purchased a lot on Halstead street and built a three family home, one section for each of the brothers and their respective families. In 1848, the brothers were able to purchase the limestone quarry with a down payment of $100. Their older brother, James, arrived in Clinton that same year, followed by his wife, Catherine, and his five children in 1850. However, in 1855 there was a parting of the ways. The bothers sold the quarry and Francis, Patrick, and Terrence moved west. James Mulligan remained in Clinton leasing the quarry from Gulick, the new owner and continued the business.
Records say that James operated three kilns, employed four men and produced twenty-five thousand bushels of lime annually. Business was of- ten done on a barter
Michael built a home for his family on Center Street and became a town leader. He sat on the Council and helped to found the first Catholic Church in Clinton. The stone for the foundation of the Town Hall and Library on Main Street was donated by Mulligan, and after the great fire of 1891, Mulligan stone was used to rebuild the town of Clinton.
( photo captions )
- The Mulligan family, back row: James, Mary Beatrice, Margaret and Michael Jr. Center row: Mary and Michael front row: Lillian and Kathryn.
- James Mulligan looking across the river toward downtownClinton.
- The Mulligan family, back row: Bernard, Michael, Jr. Mary Beatrice, James Front row: Margaret, Mary, Michael, Kathryn, Lillian.
- Michael Mulligan
Location. 40° 38.187′ N, 74° 54.805′ W. Marker is in Clinton, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of W. Main Street and Quarry Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 56 Main Street, Clinton NJ 08809, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lime Kilns (within shouting distance of this marker); The Quarry (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Cornerstone, 1754 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hunterdon Historical Museum (about 300 feet away); Red Mill Museum Village (about 400 feet away); Dunham's Mill (about 400 feet away); Hunterdon Museum Of Art (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
Also see . . . The Red Mill Museum Village. (Submitted on October 6, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for The Mulligans.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.