Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Galway in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Parkis Mills

 
 
Parkis Mills Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, October 5, 2019
1. Parkis Mills Marker
Inscription.  
First Gristmill in Galway
Built by D. Campbell-1785
Bought by Levi Parkis 1858
Home of Jolly Farmer
Griddle Cake Flour

 
Erected by Saratoga County, Town of Galway, Galway Preservation Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1785.
 
Location. 43° 2.379′ N, 74° 0.76′ W. Marker is in Galway, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Parkis Mill Road and Alexander Road, on the right when traveling north on Parkis Mill Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galway NY 12074, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joseph Henry (approx. 1.4 miles away); Seabury Mills (approx. 1˝ miles away); A Plow Factory (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Gere House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Galway Village (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site Of John McClelland (approx. 2˝ miles away);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Galway War Memorial (approx. 2˝ miles away); Stimson House (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galway.
 
Regarding Parkis Mills. "The property was originally owned by Daniel Campbell, who built a water-powered grist mill [circa 1785] that capitalized on the elevation drop along Glowegee Creek. After Campbell sold the property, it passed through several hands before being purchased by Levi Parkis in 1858. Parkis ran the mill as a one-man operation, grinding corn, wheat, oats, rye, and buckwheat into flour. His son Edward took over the operation before it burned to the ground in 1888. Edward rebuilt the mill as a three-story structure with an attached store, selling a variety of products in addition to a pancake mix called Jolly Farmer Griddle Cake Flour. [The business moved to Ballston Lake in 1926] After Edward died, his son Henry continued the business until it finally closed in 1931. The vacant structure was burned by the Galway Fire Department in 1980 to eliminate it as a target for vandals." - Galway Preservation Society Journal, Volume 19, Issue 9, May 2016
 
Also see . . .  Photo of the Levi Parkis mill prior to April of 1980
Parkis Mills Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, October 5, 2019
2. Parkis Mills Marker
The view is south along Parkis Mill Road.
. (Submitted on October 7, 2019, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
 
Glowegee Creek image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, October 5, 2019
3. Glowegee Creek
This is the Glowegee Creek, only a few steps away from the Parkis Mills marker, and near the site of the former Parkis Mill.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2019, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 7, 2019, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=140684

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024