Salem in Madison County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
The Settlement of Salem, Idaho
The first permanent settlers, brother William, Thomas and Andy McMinn, came from Corrine, Utah, in 1879. William settled near Henry's Fort on the south side of the Snake River. Thomas and Andy settled on the north side. Several more men arrived in 1883 to claim land. They returned to Utah for the winter and brought families back in the spring.
The pioneers lived in tents and dugouts until cabins could be built. Crops were planted, and then most of the men went to work on the railroad that was being built from Idaho Falls, Idaho to Butte, Montana. The women and children were left to tend the cattle and crops. Mosquitoes were so thick they caused livestock to stampede. It sounded like rain when the mosquitoes hit the tents.
The area between the north and south forks of the Teton River was swampy. Ditches were dug to drain the
On November 23, 1884, a meeting was held in the home of George P. Ward. A town site was chosen and named "Salem," which means peace. A congregation of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized. George H.B. Harris was sustained as Bishop.
Most of the land had been claimed by 1886. Two church houses were built and dedicated in 1885. One building was on Joseph Larsen's farm in the north part of Salem and also served as a school. Joseph was the teacher. The other building was constructed on the town site. The town had two stores, a cheese factory and a saloon. Clem Ward, whose horse would swim rivers, delivered mail until a post office was established in 1893.
Erected 2007 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Salem Centennial Camp. (Marker Number 545.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is November 23, 1884.
Location. 43° 52.536′ N, 111° 46.617′ W. Marker is in Salem, Idaho, in Madison County. Marker can be reached from North Salem Road near Salem Church Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas C. Neibaur Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away); Sugar City Sugar Beet Factory (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Tithing Barn Block (approx. 3.3 miles away); Rexburg Milling Company (approx. 3.3 miles away); Hitching Post (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Teton Dam Flood Marker (approx. 3.4 miles away); In Honor of the Rexburg Stake Pioneers (approx. 3.4 miles away); Rexburg Tabernacle Centennial (approx. 3.4 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is located behind the L.D.S. Church near the picnic shelter.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 620 times since then and 257 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.