Clinton in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Bunker Hill School House
Red Mill Museum Village
Although this tiny school house was uncluttered with even the most basic of modern conveniences, it provided a quality education.
The original school house for Hunterdon County District 31, often referred to as the Old Church School, was a small log building probably built in Alexandria Township in 1734. In 1860 it was replaced with a more substantial frame structure that still survives today. This one-room school house called Bunker Hil was brought to the site from its original loca- tion in 1974 and has been restored to appear as it did at the close of the nineteenth century.
In 1880 there were 50 students and the years school budget was $315.37. Some of the teachers included Jeremiah O. Hoff, Catherine Rittenhouse, Holloway W. Bellis, Miss S. Jennie Sutton, and Joseph P. Stout. Most teachers did not stay with the job very long. Wages were low and as a result many were forced to work second jobs.
In 1894, the Alexandria Township School Board discussed making needed repairs at thet Old Bunker Hill school house. However, rural 19th century voters often gave education a low priority. In August, the voters defeated
The school house contained blackboards a world globe, maps, books, and a nature corner. The coal stove heated the classroom; stoking the fire was a privilege generally reserved for good students. The high corner stool and dunce cap were reserved for students who neglected their lessons. A sand table in front of the classroom was used for lessons in writing, arithmetic, geography and science. A shelf in the rear of the room held pails which students used to carry their lunches.
Moving the School House
In 1974, the school house was moved to the Museum s grounds from its original location. The bell and the cupola was not part of the original structure, but was added by the Museum. It came from the Quakertown School House in nearby Franklin Township. ( photo captions )
- Bunker Hill School Teacher Bert Hand and his students in 1912.
- The Bunker Hill Schoolhouse, pictured here in 1891, gave years of service providing
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1917.
Location. 40° 38.255′ N, 74° 54.876′ W. Marker is in Clinton, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of W. Main Street and Quarry Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 56 Main Street, Clinton NJ 08809, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tenant House (here, next to this marker); The Log Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Mulligan Quarry (a few steps from this marker); Lime Kilns (a few steps from this marker); Schoolhouse (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Tenant House (a few steps from this marker); Blacksmith Shop (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Lime Kilns (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
Also see . . . The Red Mill Museum Village. (Submitted on October 8, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 109 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.