Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kirkwood in St. Louis County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Kirkwood Depot

 
 
Kirkwood Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, October 10, 2019
1. Kirkwood Depot Marker
Inscription.  In 1852 this land was obtained from Owen Collins by the Pacific Railroad for a right of way and in 1863 a frame depot was built. Here members of the first school board met to draft the charter of the Kirkwood School District which was granted on February 17, 1865, three days before the ratification of the town charter by the State of Missouri. In 1893 the present stone building was built by Douglas Donovan, a Kirkwood general contractor. The site has been used for Kirkwood's fiftieth and one hundredth anniversary celebrations.
 
Erected 1969 by Kirkwood Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 38° 34.864′ N, 90° 24.408′ W. Marker is in Kirkwood, Missouri, in St. Louis County. Marker is on West Argonne Drive just west of South Kirkwood Road (U.S. 61/67), on the right when traveling east. Marker is posted on the building of the Kirkwood Amtrak Station, near the entrance and under shelter.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 West Argonne Drive, Saint Louis MO 63122, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Argonne Drive (here, next to this marker); Remembering the Achievements of James P. Kirkwood (within shouting distance of this marker); Kirkwood City Council Shooting Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); To Those Who Gave Their Lives In The Struggle For Freedom (within shouting distance of this marker); Vietnam (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Vietnam (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Kirkwood (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); James R. Shanks, Chaplain, 1st. Lt. (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kirkwood.
 
Regarding Kirkwood Depot. In 1852, Kirkwood became the first planned suburb west of the Mississippi, mainly because of the newly-built railroad. It was named after the railroad's chief engineer, James Pugh Kirkwood. The station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 5, 1985. In 2002, dedicated volunteers helped stop the station from being closed. To this day, Kirkwood remains a regular Amtrak stop and is the third-busiest Amtrak station in Missouri.
Kirkwood Amtrak Station image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, October 10, 2019
2. Kirkwood Amtrak Station
Marker is located to the right of the entrance

 
Also see . . .  Kirkwood Station on Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 10, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 10, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 10, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=140848

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024