Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Tiffin in Seneca County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Early Electric Illumination, 1884

 
 
Early Electric Illumination, 1884 Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 28, 2019
1. Early Electric Illumination, 1884 Marker
Inscription.  When St.Paulís Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated on January 6, 1884, an ornate brass chandelier presented by the Edison Electric Light Company provided illumination for the ceremony. Wired for electric lighting before its completion, St. Paulís was one of the first churches in the nation lighted by Edison lamps. The Tiffin Edison Electric Illuminating Company, the first central electric power station in Ohio and the tenth in the United States, was built in Tiffing in late 1883. With a 100 horsepower boiler, a 120 horsepower engine and two dynamos, it supplied direct current sufficient to light 1,000 lamps. It stood two blocks north of this site. The original brass “electrolier” still hangs in the sanctuary inside.
 
Erected 2001 by the Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the Longaberger Company, St. Paulís United Methodist Church, St. Paulís Daughters, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-74.)
 
Location. 41° 6.791′ N, 83° 10.643′ W. Marker is in Tiffin, Ohio, in Seneca County
Early Electric Illumination Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 28, 2019
2. Early Electric Illumination Marker
. Marker is on Madison Street east of South Monroe Street, on the right when traveling east. It is in front of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 46 Madison St, Tiffin OH 44883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. State's First Female Lawyers (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Founding of Tiffin (approx. ľ mile away); Rezin W. Shawhan & the Seneca County Museum (approx. ľ mile away); Fort Ball (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camp Ball (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tiffin Train Depot / Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camp Noble (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mercy Hospital of Tiffin / The Sisters of Mercy Come to Tiffin (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tiffin.
 
Also see . . .  St. Paulís History. This page includes interior photographs showing the chandelier. Excerpt: “In the spring of 1883 work began to complete the interior of the second floor. In October of that year, plans were also underway to erect the Edison Electric Illuminating Company building on Monroe Street. In December 1883, quick-thinking contractors wired the church for electric lights, making St. Paulís Church the first public building in the world to be wired for electricity while being built. To mark the occasion, Thomas A. Edison presented the church a splendid electric light
St. Paulís United Methodist Church, Tiffin, Ohio image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 28, 2019
3. St. Paulís United Methodist Church, Tiffin, Ohio
chandelier—still in use today.” (Submitted on October 11, 2019.) 
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionIndustry & Commerce
 

More. Search the internet for Early Electric Illumination, 1884.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 11, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the chandelier • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement