Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Alexandria in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Historic White House Gates

circa 1819

 
 
Historic White House Gates Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, October 11, 2019
1. Historic White House Gates Marker
Inscription.  The gates, which were installed in 1819, were one of the finishing touches to the reconstruction of the White House after it was burned during the War of 1812. The gates were commissioned by President James Monroe and were fabricated at the New York forge of Paulus Hedl, an Austrian smith and foundryman. James Hoban, the original architect of the White House, and builder in charge if the reconstruction, oversaw the installation.

Mounted on grand neo-classical stone piers, the gates stood at the northeast entrance to the White House on Pennsylvania Avenue for nearly 120 years. Twenty-eight presidents, from James Monroe to Franklin Delano Roosevelt, used these gates for ceremonial entry to and exit from the White House.

Removed around 1937 during a renovation project, the gates found a second home at a private estate on the Potomac River ten miles south of Washington, D.C., where they remained in relative obscurity for more than 50 years. During this time, the estate was acquired by the American Horticultural Society and became the Society's national headquarters.

In 2002, the distinctive pattern of the gates' ironwork
The Historic White House Gates image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, October 11, 2019
2. The Historic White House Gates
attracted the attention of White House historian William Seale. After hours of painstaking research and measurements, Seale confirmed his hunch — the gates were indeed those that had been ordered by James Monroe for the White House. A historical treasure had been found.
 
Location. 38° 44.524′ N, 77° 2.697′ W. Marker is near Alexandria, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker can be reached from Kent Road 0.2 miles north of Outlet Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7963 Kent Road, Alexandria VA 22308, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Vernon Memorial Highway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Washington—The Capital’s Guardian (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Last Defense (approx. 1.7 miles away); Protecting America's Legacy (approx. 1.8 miles away); Battery Sater (approx. 1.8 miles away); P.O. Box 1142 (approx. 1.9 miles away); WW II: A Battle Fought at Home and Abroad (approx. 1.9 miles away); People and the Land (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
Categories. ArchitectureGovernment & PoliticsNotable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for Historic White House Gates.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 11, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement