Crestwood in St. Louis County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Grant's Trail: Sappington House and Father Dickson Cemetery
• The Sappington House is the historic home of Thomas Sappington. Thomas was one of the seventeen children of John and Jemima Sappington, early pioneers of the area. John and Jemima Sappington moved to this area in 1804 from Kentucky and purchased approximately 1,920 acres of land. This land is the current site of the City of Crestwood and the surrounding Sappington area of unincorporated St. Louis County.
• The Sappington House was built in 1808 by Thomas Sappington and is significant because it is a prime example of federal architecture, a style rare to Missouri. It is also believed to be the first brick house in St. Louis County. Bricks made on-site composed the primary building material and wooden pegs were used to fasten the frame. The house originally contained four rooms and cooking was conduced in an outside kitchen. An indoor kitchen was added by Thomas Sappington sometime around 1820.
• The City of Crestwood purchased the house in 1961, at which time the structure of the house was substantially unchanged from the time it was built. Restoration of the house began in 1963 and
• The Library of Americana, Sappington House Barn Restaurant, and Sappington House Gift Shop are also located on this site. The Library of Americana contains an extensive collection of books and antiques detailing the history and art of this area. The Sappington Barn Restaurant serves lunch in a tearoom setting and is available for group parties, dinners, weddings, and receptions. The Gift Shop is located in the loft area above the restaurant.
• Please visit the Sappington House Historic Facility. Your support of the museum, library, restaurant, and gift shop ensure the ongoing preservation of our American heritage.
Father Dickson Cemetery
• The historic Father Dickson Cemetery was one of the first African American public cemeteries in St. Louis. It was named for the Reverend Moses Dickson, an African American born free in Ohio in 1824. Reverend Dickson was a Black Abolitionist leader who founded the Knights of Liberty. Ordained later in life as an African Methodist Episcopal minister, he devoted himself to social
• Father Dickson Cemetery is the final resting place of more than 6000 African Americans including veterans of the American Civil War, the Spanish-American War, World Wars I and II and the Korean Conflict. Also interred here are John Vashon, a well-known attorney, linguist and teacher and James Milton Turner, co-founder of Lincoln University. Turner was the first African American U.S. Ambassador to Liberia appointed by President Ulysses S. Grant in 1871.
Great Rivers Greenway is the public organization leading the development of a region-wide system of interconnected greenways, parks and trails, known as the River Ring. The River Ring will join two states and cover an area of 1,216 square miles. The Greenway District, formerly known as the Metropolitan Park and Restoration District, was established in November 2000 by the successful passage of the Clean Water, Safe Parks and Community Trails Initiative (Proposition C) in St. Louis City, St. Louis County and St. Charles County, Missouri. For more information about Great Rivers Greenway District, visit greatrivers.info
Erected by Great Rivers Greenway District.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities marker series.
Location. 38° 33.869′ N, 90° 23.111′ W. Marker is in Crestwood, Missouri, in St. Louis County. Marker is on Grant's Trail just west of Sappington Road, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located on Grant's Trail, and is accessible from Sappington Road. It is in front of Father Dickson Cemetery, and across from the Thomas Sappington House and Restaurant. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1015 Sappington Road, Saint Louis MO 63126, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kirkwood Depot (approx. 1.6 miles away); Remembering the Achievements of James P. Kirkwood (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Kirkwood (approx. 1.7 miles away); Outbuildings / ~150 Years Ago—Colored Troops (approx. 2 miles away); A Community within a Community / ~150 Years Ago—Contraband (approx. 2 miles away); Grant's Departure / ~150 Years Ago— (approx. 2 miles away); Changes at White Haven / ~150 Years Ago - Grants Horses (approx. 2 miles away); Working Plantation / ~150 Years Ago - Emancipation (approx. 2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Historic Sappington House. Official website (Submitted on October 12, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
2. Father Dickson Cemetery on Find-a-Grave. (Submitted on October 12, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Categories. • African Americans • Architecture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work •
More. Search the internet for Grant's Trail: Sappington House and Father Dickson Cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 12, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.